Friday, May 05, 2006

Of Tattoos And Piercings....

In the past couple years, I have debated getting a tattoo on my lower back. Up until then if you would have asked me about getting a tattoo, I would have said no fucking way. But something in me has changed. Maybe I am getting older and therefore more daring, or maybe I have just decided that fuck it, you only go round once, might as well have fun while you can.

Starting about four years ago I began losing weight. At first it was only ten or so pounds, but then without really trying too hard, I ended up dropping about 50 pounds. At one point a year and a half ago, I dropped 60 pounds. After beginning hormone therapy, I put on about 10 pounds--sometimes less, sometimes a little more. I got back up to a size 10 in some pants, and a size 8 in others. I had been down to 117 pounds and a size 7 for all of three months before the hormones took over that part of me.

I think one of the reasons I began to take off the weight I had gained was that I was just tired of being fat. Well fat and ugly, because let's face it, being fat, made me feel ugly even if others disagreed. I also didn't want to become an embarrassment to my child. I didn't want to be the fat mom. I wanted to be the nice shape mom. Or at the very least, the mom who doesn't stand out from the crowd because of her hideousness.

When I got down to 140, I got my belly button pierced. I was so prepared for it to hurt so badly I would faint. It didn't. I have had the piercing now for three years now. People would ask why I went and had that done, and I would tell them it was to remind myself everyday that I could not get back to my old weight. That I had to stay below 140 at the high end, hopefully never getting back to that weight anyway. They would look at me like I was absolutely nutters. It made sense to me, so I didn't really give a crap if they understood. My mom about cried when I had that done, which didn't make sense to me since my younger sister has her nose and tongue pierced, and my younger brother, briefly had his tongue pierced as well. I guess I was never looked at as the wild type. Heh. Little do they know.

So I keep going back and forth with the whole, to tattoo or not to tattoo that is the question, issue. If I get it done, I want something cool. I have not yet found anything that I just had to have put on me permanently. Hell I don't even use the same hair color twice in a row. I am all about changing things up. Can't really do that with a tattoo though.

That and getting my eyebrow pierced. I have always wanted that too. People look at me like I have two heads when I say that. Not like I am going to be wearing some big ass ear ring there. Just a little something to make this plain face not so plain.

So people out in the blogdom, what do you think?
Tattoo?
No tattoo?
Eyebrow pierced?
No eyebrow pierced?

Let me know what you think!

No comments: