Friday, May 19, 2006

When The Phone Rings, I Cringe....

Well at least during the school year I do. Today was no exception. Le sigh.

I forgot to give Spenser his meds this morning, which is not what one would call a good thing. In fact it is a very bad thing. Dumb ass that I am, I didn't remember until lunch time, noonish. Right before his teacher called me to let me what was going on for the day. He was up and down and all over the place emotionally. Not good. He did manage to hold it in check so there were no melt downs with a sailors mouth, which is good. He just refused to finish some work, and refused to participate in reading group. So he had to go to the "building coordinator's" office. In reality he is the guy who handles the problems (read children like Spenser).

I showed up with meds in hand and a bottle of water and he took his meds. Then for twenty or so minutes we had a stalemate. Then I pulled out the ammo I had. His best friends' birthday party on Sunday. That got his attention. Then he asked if I could stay at school the rest of the day, to which I said maybe, but you have to do something for me. The work. Which he did.

So I ended up going to his classroom with him for about 15 minutes or so, and then I came back home for an hour or so.

I no longer look forward to phone calls M-F, as I am always worried it will be the school calling to tell me to come get him, because he is having an "issue". When it rings, all I see is the horns and tail that have sprouted from it, since surely the devil must be on the line, waiting to inform me that there has been an "issue".

Pretty sad, considering I used to love to talk on the phone. Lately though, notsomuch.

No comments: