Friday, September 07, 2007

3:10 To Yuma!!!!!!

Comes out today. I can't wait to go see it. It looks like it is a good movie. I mean, Russell Crowe, Christian Bale, what's not to like?

Hopefully I get to see it!

Second week of school down and so far, so good! Spenser seems to be enjoying it, which is so awesome! I hope he continues enjoying it!

Last night I made really good chicken. You see, going to PF Chang's oh so long ago, really made me wonder how hard it was to flavor and spice something. Obviously, they have the spice part covered, though not totally, and the flavor, not at all.

So it inspired me to try to do both. On the fly. No recipe at all. Just off the top of my head, whatever hit my fancy and sounded good, or interesting. So I decided chicken. With a spicy beer reduction. Remembering this is all just on the fly, here is the general recipe:

Half a stick of butter
1/4 of a large onion minced
3 large chicken breast (I used boneless/skinless)
1 bottle of beer (not a dark beer)
Red chili flakes to taste (or 1 -3 teaspoons is about what I used)
Onion powder
Garlic powder
3 teaspoons sugar (or to taste)
*******************

In a large skillet melt butter, add onion, and cook until onion is transparent.

Add chicken breasts, and cover.

Let the chicken cook about 4 to 5 minutes on the first side, then turn and let them cook on the other side for 4 to 5 minutes.

You do not want the chicken browned, so turn the flame to low/medium low.

Remove chicken to a plate and cover.

Add 3/4 of the bottle of beer.

Stir to combine with the onions and butter.

Add onion powder, garlic and chili flakes.

Bring it to a gentle simmer, without the lid on. Stirring often.

It should begin to reduce a bit.

Place chicken back in pan. Cover with lid, heat on low.

Let cook for about 5 minutes, check it.

Flip chicken over, stir sauce.

Let it cook for another 5 minutes covered.

Take off lid, add the rest of the beer. Let it cook a little more, until it starts to simmer again, add in 2 teaspoons sugar.

Stir. Cover and let simmer.

Cook until chicken is cooked through.

Before serving, add the last teaspoon of sugar if you like (it takes the harshness off of the beer, which I do not like), or to taste.

You don't want it sweet, but you want it to have a nice rounded flavor. A hint of sweet.

A little sweet, spicy, and the faintest bit beery! Serve with anything else you would like to eat! Have water nearby!

Of course all of it is to taste. So if you want it spicier, add more chili flakes. Less spicy? Less flakes. Sweeter? More sugar. Less sweet? Less sugar. All to taste my friends. All to taste.

No comments: