Thursday, February 02, 2006

The Intervention...

Well, it was today. The intervention, so Spenser doesn't slip through the cracks.

Overall, I have to say I am happy with the progress made in the meeting. Once again, I am counting and thanking my lucky stars that Spenser got such a great teacher. She totally gets how hard it is for Spenser, and works with him, to help him find a solution. Some days it is enough, but unfortunately there are those days when it does not. That is what the meeting was about.

Now Spenser will have a couple breaks built into his school day, along with a couple of passes for emergency breaks. He is also going to be going across the hall to a 2nd grade class in the morning to do math. He doesn't know yet that this will be a permanent thing. He will be so happy! He is also going to be typing things more often, because one of the battles was/is his hand writing. He hates hand writing things. So of course he will still have to do some, but they are going to break it up for him. We are also going to start a "program" where I send in a check list of things he must comply with, in order to earn special things. I really think this will be a great help. Also, we are sending in puzzles, 3-d and regular ones, so when he needs a moment or 10 to sort himself out, he can have the choice to do that. The purpose of that, is to divert his attention for a bit, so he can settle down. They will also be in contact with his psych doctor, so they can be up to date on things on that end, and he will continue his once a week sessions with the school counselor.

All in all, I think it went great. I really hope this helps him, because I am not sure what else to do.

I think I can breathe again for a bit!

:)

No comments: