Thursday, August 03, 2006

Attic Fan Installation, Part 1

So our attic fan kicked the bucket. Which of course means the attic is about 150 degrees. Not kidding.

So this morning Spenser and I went to Lowes to get a new one. First of all, they are no where near where I think they should be. They are by the gutters, which I am sure makes sense on some other planet, but for me it does not. Found it, got it, came home.

The air was semi working. Meaning it got all the way down to 78 cool degrees. I was thrilled. I kept my fingers crossed that maybe it would stay cooler longer today then it did yesterday. No dice. By noon, it had gone up to 80. Ack.

Got Rob from work for lunch, and he decided to start installing the fan, after all it should be fairly simple since there was already one installed, right? No, of course not. The people who lived here before us must have been one step removed from being mentally challenged. They made it so that we had to take everything down, including the little shuttered window thing. Not fun struggling in the 150 degree attic. He got done with what he could and by then his lunch was nearly over and he had to clean up to go back to work. I decided to give it a go, because I honestly think if the fan runs and sucks all the hot air out, our house will cool off better.

Yeah, I am clearly not capable of putting in the fan. I got the support beams screwed into place, and had to stop, because I thought my head might pop like popcorn it was so hot. By then I was covered in sweat and dust, dirt, ick. So I cam in and took a shower. My god did that feel like heaven!

So currently we are waiting for Rob to get home to finish. I have called an AC guy to have him come out and see if he can rig the beast to work for a little longer. He can come out tomorrow. I am thrilled. Hot, but thrilled.

The temp in the house?

85 degrees. Still a touch cooler then outside, and not as humid. If it rains I am opening the windows and letting the air come through though!

More when we get the thing installed. Keep those fingers crossed!

No comments: